2020 Registration Information
The deadline for this year’s heats is December 13. Registrations will not be accepted after this date. Sign up today to reserve your spot.
- Vancouver Wednesday, November 27, 2019: Mount Pleasant Elementary School, 2300 Guelph Street @ 9:30 am
- Montreal Friday, January 17, 2020: Lester B. Pearson School Board Office, 1925 Brookdale, Dorval @ 9:30 am
- Toronto Tuesday, January 21, 2020: Parkview Manor, 55 Barber Green Road @ 10 am
- Ottawa Tuesday, January 21, 2020: Elmwood School, 261 Buena Vista Road, Rockcliffe Park @ 9:30 am
- Hamilton Thursday, January 23, 2020: Hamilton Central Library, Hamilton Room, 55 York Blvd @ 9:30 am
- By cheque made payable to Kids’ Lit Quiz Canada. Mail to PO Box 19045 Walmer, Toronto ON M5S 3C9
- E-transfer to email@example.com (pw your school name)
- Toronto District School Board transfer. Send confirmation to firstname.lastname@example.org
- PayPal (Payment through PayPal will add $6 service charge to the registration fee)
To pay with PayPal use this form:
Thank you to our amazing 2019 sponsors
The Vandewater Charitable Foundation at the Toronto Foundation
A Different Drummer Books
Thank you to our 2019 author teams
Kids’ Lit Quiz Canada is grateful to the many wonderful authors who competed in the Sport of Reading this year.
- Jane Barclay (www.
- Karen Bass (www.karenbass.ca)
- Holly Bodger (www.hollybodger.com)
- Lisa Dalrymple (www.lisadalrymple.com)
- Lee Edward Fodi (www.leefodi.com/)
- Natale Ghent (www.nataleghent.com)
- Linda Granfield (www.lindagranfield.com)
- Kate Jaimet (www.katejaimet.com)
- Joanne Levy (www.joannlevy.com)
- Stacey Matson (www.staceymatson.com/)
- Jennifer Mook-Sang (www.jennifermooksang.com)
- Gillian O’Reilly (www.annickpress.com/
- Caroline Pignat (www.carolinepignat.com)
- Aimee Reid (www.aimeereidbooks.com)
- Richard Scrimger (www.scrimger.ca)
- Alan Silberberg (www.silberbooks.com)
- Ashley Spires (www.ashleyspires.com/)
- Jeremy Tankard (jeremytankard.com/)
- Holman Wang (www.jackandholman.com)
- Lori Weber (www.loriweberauthor.wordpress.com)
What is Kids’ Lit Quiz™?
An established international literature competition for 10 – 13 year olds
Team members must be under 14 years of age on the 1st of July.
- Showcasing readers worldwide for 25 years
- Created by Quizmaster Wayne Mills, who writes hundreds of new questions each year
- Over 1000 schools compete in annual tournaments in Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Singapore, South Africa, United Kingdom and USA
A fun, rewarding experience
- Teams answer 100 questions over 10 categories based on any children’s book published in English
- Students train by reading voraciously, and working on collaboration skills to create the strongest team possible
- Children explore a wide variety of authors and genres
- Regional winners compete in a National Final; the winning team advances to the KLQ World Final
- Prizes are awarded at every level
Why Does Kids’ Lit Quiz™ Matter?
Provides a meaningful activity for middle grade students
- Teachers and parents see their students become part of a global community of readers
- Students are engaged at an age when reading for pleasure tends to fall off due to electronic distractions and more academic reading
- KLQ creates a culture of reading – library traffic increases and readers are celebrated throughout the school
- Readers experience being on a team with coaches, practices, and tournaments
- KLQ attracts all students – roughly 40% of competitors each year are boys
- Studies show that students who read for fun have higher test scores in vocabulary, spelling, and math
Canada hosted the 2017 Kids Lit Quiz™ World Final!
KLQ is exploding in popularity!
- In 2011, Canada held its first quiz… with only 13 teams
- In 2016, 117 teams competed across the country for the chance to represent Canada at the World Final in Auckland, New Zealand
Kids’ Lit Quiz™ Canada is a registered charity, run entirely by volunteers who are dedicated to inspiring youth to become lifelong readers.
Kids’ Lit Quiz™ Canada relies on the generosity of public and private sponsors to help fund our programs across Canada.
Charitable Registration Number 833763287RR0001