Telling Tales Spirit Award
At our Hamilton Heat on January 24, Telling Tales will be sponsoring a Spirit Award for the team that shows great cooperation, respect and enthusiasm. Show us your KLQ team spirit for a chance to win an author visit for your school! Download the poster to learn more.
Meet the Author Teams
Come out to the Kids’ Lit Quiz and meet some of these terrific authors:
Holman Wang www.mycozyclassics.com external
Linda Bailey www.lindabaileybooks.com external
Rachelle Delaney www.rachelledelaney.com external
Kallie George www.kalliegeorge.com external
Stacey Matson www.staceymatson.com external
Caroline Pignat www.carolinepignat.com external
Congratulations to St. Michael’s University Team 1
Winners of the Kids’ Lit Quiz 2018 BC Heat
Well done Leighla, Eva, Alexandra and Aidan!
IT’S TIME TO REGISTER!
Put your school teams together and sign up today.
- Four students per team
- Students must be younger than 14 on July 1, 2018
- Three teams per school allowed this year
Registration is $150 per team.
Register using the registration form external.
Pay using this link:
See also the additional forms on the Forms page.
October 18: Exhibition Heat at Hillcrest Community School, Toronto
November 16: Vancouver, British Columbia
Waverley Elementary School
January 24: Hamilton, Ontario
January 26: Ottawa, Ontario
February 5: Toronto, Ontario
Ryerson, Mattamy Athletic Centre
February 8: National Final, Toronto
Hosted by St Clement’s School
What is Kids’ Lit Quiz™?
An established international literature competition for 10 – 13 year olds
- Showcasing readers worldwide for 25 years
- Created by Quizmaster Wayne Mills, who writes hundreds of new questions each year
- Over 1000 schools compete in annual tournaments in Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Singapore, South Africa, United Kingdom and USA
A fun, rewarding experience
- Teams answer 100 questions over 10 categories based on any children’s book published in English
- Students train by reading voraciously, and working on collaboration skills to create the strongest team possible
- Children explore a wide variety of authors and genres
- Regional winners compete in a National Final; the winning team advances to the KLQ World Final
- Prizes are awarded at every level
Why Does Kids’ Lit Quiz™ Matter?
Provides a meaningful activity for middle grade students
- Teachers and parents see their students become part of a global community of readers
- Students are engaged at an age when reading for pleasure tends to fall off due to electronic distractions and more academic reading
- KLQ creates a culture of reading – library traffic increases and readers are celebrated throughout the school
- Readers experience being on a team with coaches, practices, and tournaments
- KLQ attracts all students – roughly 40% of competitors each year are boys
- Studies show that students who read for fun have higher test scores in vocabulary, spelling, and math
Canada hosted the 2017 Kids Lit Quiz™ World Final!
KLQ is exploding in popularity!
- In 2011, Canada held its first quiz… with only 13 teams
- In 2016, 117 teams competed across the country for the chance to represent Canada at the World Final in Auckland, New Zealand
Kids’ Lit Quiz™ Canada is a registered charity, run entirely by volunteers who are dedicated to inspiring youth to become lifelong readers.
Kids’ Lit Quiz™ Canada relies on the generosity of public and private sponsors to help fund our programs across Canada.
Charitable Registration Number 833763287RR0001