Kids’ Lit Quiz Canada is coming to Montreal!
Wednesday January 23, 2019
Lester B. Pearson School Board Office
Please join us in the Sport of Reading.
Teams answer questions on any children’s book ever published in English – from nursery rhymes and comic books to myths and recent bestsellers.
The winning team will have a chance to compete in the National Final
at McMaster University.
Registration is now open.
Sign up today!
Registration for the 2019 Season is open!
Canada Heats 2019
Regional Heats are filling up fast for the 2019 Kids’ Lit Quiz!
Toronto Heat 1 is sold out.
Vancouver Heat is sold out.
Register now to secure your spot.
Vancouver: Thursday November 29, 2018
9:30 a.m. SOLD OUT
Mount Pleasant Elementary School
2300 Guelph Street, Vancouver, BC V5T 3P1
Toronto: Monday, January 21, 2019
HEAT 1: 9:30 a.m SOLD OUT
Allenby Jr. Public School
395 St. Clements Ave., Toronto, ON M5N 1M2
HEAT 2: 12 p.m.
Armour Heights Public School
148 Wilson Ave., North York, ON M5M 3A5
Ottawa: Tuesday, January 22, 2019
261 Buena Vista Road, Rockcliffe Park, ON K1M 0V9
Montreal: Wednesday, January 23, 2019
Lester B. Pearson School Board
1925 Brookdale, Dorval QC H9P 2Y7
Hamilton: Thursday, January 24, 2019
Hillfield Strathallan College
299 Fennell Ave. W., Hamilton, ON L9C 1G3
National Final: Saturday, January 26, 2019
L.R. Wilson Hall, McMaster University
1280 Main St. W., Hamilton, ON L8S 4L8
2018 World Final Results
Best of luck to our 2018 Team Canada — off to New Zealand in July for the Kids’ Lit Quiz World Final!
Local news stories about this terrific team include:
Lee Academy students to compete Kids Lit Quiz World Finals
Lynden’s Lee Academy representing Canada in New Zealand
Young reader on way to New Zealand
KLQ Canada National Finals 2018
Thursday, February 8
Congratulations to Lee Academy of Hamilton, ON
Canadian National Champions 2018!
And congratulations to
Bowmore Public School, Toronto, ON, 2nd place
Rockcliffe Park Public School, Ottawa, ON, 3rd place
Congratulations to the top 5 finishers at the world-record huge Toronto Heat!
Moving on to the National Finals are:
1st Bowmore PS Team 1
2nd McMurrich Jr PS Team 1
3rd University of Toronto Schools Team 1
4th Hodgson Middle School Team 1
4th University of Toronto Schools Team 2
Congratulations to Rockcliffe Park Public School Team 1
Winners of the Kids’ Lit Quiz 2018 Ottawa Heat
Well done Amelie, Olivia, Sylvia and Anna!
Congratulations to Lee Academy Team 2
Winners of the Kids’ Lit Quiz 2018 Hamilton Heat
Well done Grace, Aanya, William, and Eve!
Congratulations to St. Michael’s University Team 1
Winners of the Kids’ Lit Quiz 2018 BC Heat
Well done Leighla, Eva, Alexandra and Aidan!
What is Kids’ Lit Quiz™?
An established international literature competition for 10 – 13 year olds
Team members must be under 14 years of age on the 1st of July.
- Showcasing readers worldwide for 25 years
- Created by Quizmaster Wayne Mills, who writes hundreds of new questions each year
- Over 1000 schools compete in annual tournaments in Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Singapore, South Africa, United Kingdom and USA
A fun, rewarding experience
- Teams answer 100 questions over 10 categories based on any children’s book published in English
- Students train by reading voraciously, and working on collaboration skills to create the strongest team possible
- Children explore a wide variety of authors and genres
- Regional winners compete in a National Final; the winning team advances to the KLQ World Final
- Prizes are awarded at every level
Why Does Kids’ Lit Quiz™ Matter?
Provides a meaningful activity for middle grade students
- Teachers and parents see their students become part of a global community of readers
- Students are engaged at an age when reading for pleasure tends to fall off due to electronic distractions and more academic reading
- KLQ creates a culture of reading – library traffic increases and readers are celebrated throughout the school
- Readers experience being on a team with coaches, practices, and tournaments
- KLQ attracts all students – roughly 40% of competitors each year are boys
- Studies show that students who read for fun have higher test scores in vocabulary, spelling, and math
Canada hosted the 2017 Kids Lit Quiz™ World Final!
KLQ is exploding in popularity!
- In 2011, Canada held its first quiz… with only 13 teams
- In 2016, 117 teams competed across the country for the chance to represent Canada at the World Final in Auckland, New Zealand
Kids’ Lit Quiz™ Canada is a registered charity, run entirely by volunteers who are dedicated to inspiring youth to become lifelong readers.
Kids’ Lit Quiz™ Canada relies on the generosity of public and private sponsors to help fund our programs across Canada.
Charitable Registration Number 833763287RR0001